ODMA 6 Highlights

ODMA saved my marriage... well, maybe that's an exaggeration, but it certainly made the wife very happy. I recently won a prize of a shiny new iPad Mini for the project that I created for the Ogilvy Digital Marketing Academy (which is now an early birthday present for the wife, lucky her!). The project I created was the Johannesburg Spelling Correction Task Force, an automated Twitter bot that searches for all incorrect spellings of the word Johannesburg and rudely corrects the author by retweeting the correct spelling back to them. There's a detailed explanation of the development and technology behind the project on the dev blog for the project. I'm truly humbled that my project won a prize, especially after seeing the quality of all of the other projects that were presented.

But that's enough about me, what I'm really here to talk about is some of the other fantastic projects from my fellow classmates. The projects were all amazing especially considering that for a lot of them the creators were working well outside of their comfort zones. So, without further ado, here are my personal favourites:

Nash Mariah - How To Survive The Ad Industry



This was another project that won a prize, and rightly so. Nash's video actually cut through a lot of the bullshit and hype that flies around in ad business and actually got a human insight into some of the people that are at the top of the industry here in South Africa. An insightful video that I think will actually be a helpful resource for those trying to learn the ropes.

Alex Grieves - The Savvy Nomad



As an expat I found Alex's multi platform project The Savvy Nomad struck a bit of a chord with me. Existing as a blog, a Twitter account, a Facebook page and even a Vine profile (although I can't find a link to that), Alex's creation offers a bit of advice for expats with big wardrobes. A great project that I hope she keeps up!

Kyle Wilson - How To Make Bird Sounds with Your Hands



http://youtu.be/C62kmCtCrz8

Kyle Wilson's video does exactly what it says on the tin. I found this hilarious and just goes to show that the YouTube Video Editor is perfectly suitable for a quick project like this. I still can't whistle like a bird by the way but I blame my own shitness on that.


Fellow winner, REC colleague and all round gangster David Jackson created an interactive video describing how to behave in an elevator. A great use of YouTube annotations (which are largely considered the second worst thing to come out of YouTube after Justin Beiber ). There's potential for a whole series of this so hopefully he'll carry on making them.

So those were my picks of ODMA 6. I'd like to thank the lecturers Maximillian Kaizen and David Duarte for a fantastic and inspiring week. They have really helped me get motivated to do more stuff online again. Keep up the good work!