A Musical Farewell to South Africa

My time in South Africa is up and I am on the flight back home to London. I suppose I should do a post reflecting on my time here, but to be honest, I could probably sum it up in one sentence... "South Africa was great".
Now that's out of the way, I wanted to do something a little different. During my time in South Africa I got introduced to a lot of music. Some of it South African, some of it not, some of it good, some of it dreadful. The main thing that links all of these is that they are all attached to a memorable moment or group of people. This is purely self reflection so it may not be particularly interesting to anyone other than myself. However if you fancy hearing some odd music, grab yourself a nice big cup of tea and read on.

Die Antwoord - "Fatty Boom Boom"
Probably the most famous South African act at the moment. This video came out shortly after I arrived in Cape Town.


Spoek Mathambo - "Mshini Wam"
This guy was introduced to me by one of my colleagues. I was fortunate enough to see him live. The night did leave me with a terrible hangover though.


Brenda & The Big Dudes - "Weekend Special"
A South African classic from Brenda Fassie. Actually found this one via the excellent blog Awesome Tapes From Africa. Unfortunately it looks like the silly music publisher won't allow this one to be played outside the UK. So if you're trying to play this in SA... Sorry guys!


AWOLNATION - "Sail"
This song got made famous by a viral video that did the rounds in South Africa. The video below is of some mad man skateboarding really fast down a busy downhill road (have a look at what happens at about the 1 minute mark). If you must hear the full track, you can find it here (although the official video isn't as good in my opinion).



Karen Zoid - "Afrikaners Is Plesierig"
A bit of Afrikaans rock that the wife and I heard on the radio late at night on a really obscure station we were tuned into.


Fela Kuti - "Gentleman"
It's Fela Kuti. Enough said.


Rodriguez - "Sugar Man"
So this guy Rodriguez was huge in South Africa, but absolutely unknown to the rest of the world. He himself didn't even realise he had a huge fan base in the country. The story was covered in the documentary "Searching for Sugar Man" which actually went on to win an Academy Award. Definitely worth a watch.


The Presets - "My People"
My colleagues and I watched this video at work one day. Whilst watching it, I realised that I will never be able to make anything as technically polished ever in my life. I hate talented people.


Mr. C The Slide Man - "Cha-Cha Slide"
I was informed that this song will always get played at South African weddings. I cannot verify if this is true but I certainly heard it played a million bloody times on the radio.


Miriam Makeba - "The Click Song"
Probably the most famous South African musician. The wife introduced me to this one.


iFani - "Shake"
I heard this song whilst having a poo in a shopping mall toilet.


Midi, Maxi & EFTI - "Bad Bad Boys"
This song is another case of something being big in South Africa and nowhere else in the world. This is actually dreadful.

Chainmale - "Schizophrenic Breakdown"
It was hard to pick one song from one of the greatest musicians to have ever walked the earth, but seeing as this one features Cape Town it felt appropriate.

Frikkie Botes - "Oseaan"
There are only 5 people on this planet that will know why this song is on this list. You know who you are! Unfortunately this video can't be embedded. You can find it here (it's totally worth it).